Choosing the right contractor should not be a task taken lightly as thy will be around your most important things, your family and your home.
Here are some tips to help you out
Interview Each Candidate
Always ask contractors the following questions:
- How long have you been in business?
- Do you have the proper/required licenses? (This varies by state, and some states may not require licensing.)
- Do you have insurance ? (This helps determine whether your contractor and any hired workers are insured for injury and liability.)
- Are you a member of any national or local painting contractors’ associations?
- Do you subcontract your work or perform it yourself?
- Can you provide references?
- Do you offer written guarantees of your work?
- What products do you use?
- Insured contractors are the way to go
Be Specific About the Project
It’s a good idea to walk each potential contractor around the areas (indoor or outdoor) to be painted while discussing your needs, and particularly any aspects of the project that could affect the price. Be specific about which surfaces you want to have painted (walls, trims, moldings, ceilings, etc.) and the paint colors and finishes you want used.
Pay Attention to Behavior
As you meet with each contractor, pay attention to the following signs and behaviors:
- Does the contractor project a sense of professionalism and experience?
- Is the contractor courteous and business-like?
- Is the contractor busy? (Good ones usually are.)
- Does the contractor return phone calls and provide estimates in a timely manner?
- Is the contractor on time for appointments?
Be sure to get at least three references from past customers and speak to them directly. If possible, visit references to evaluate the painter’s work in person and to see how well it has held up over time.
Review the Contract
Once you’ve settled on a contractor, ask for a written contract and review it carefully. As a consumer, you have the right to ask detailed questions about any issues you need clarified. In particular, be sure to verify the following:
- What exactly is being painted (house, trim, walls, molding, etc.)
- Details on preparation and cleanup
- Paint colors for each area to be painted
- How the contractor will protect plants, patios, furniture, or other items
- How much time the project will take, from start to finish
- When and how the contractor will be paid
Once you complete these steps, you’ll be ready to hire the right painting contractor—and enjoy your newly painted home.
If you are looking for an experienced Northampton & Lehigh County painter then please call (484) 821-7112 or complete our online request form.
Ryan Amato - Amato Painting and Power Washing
Ryan Amato is a man driven by his values, first and foremost. As manager of Amato Painting, Ryan’s leadership is one of trust and commitment. His relationships with his team are as important as those with his clients. His motivation to provide professional service is driven by a dependable workmanship that secures their reputation of being the best at what they do. No matter the size of the project, Ryan is adept at meeting deadlines and budgets.
As an award winner for his outstanding painting work, Ryan’s projects have been featured in the Sherwin Williams Quarterly Industry Magazine. You can find his contributions to the painting community across numerous blog sites and on his YouTube channel. With a true passion for his craft, Ryan is driven by so much more than the bottom line. He lives in Easton, Pa with his fiancé Michelle, his two teenagers, Preston and Ryenn and his dog Duncan who stars on the company logo!